Tuesday, May 27, 2008

How I came up with my Idea for my CD booklet
When we were told that we were going to be creating a CD booklet based on a fictional, made up band I instantly decided to do my self. Music is a big love of mine and something I have been involved with since I was young. Being a musician and already having a bunch of lyrics I felt that it would be in my benefit to do my self as already having the lyrics would allow me more time to work on the design and production of the booklet. Having been writing lyrics since I was 11 years old I had a fairly decent sized collection to choose from. Although some may see this as being an easy option as I already had the lyrics, I disagree as I did at one stage have to write them so therefore would put in just as much effort it’s just spread over a longer amount of time. Also as I am an aspiring musician and would one day like to release a CD I thought that this was the perfect chance to design and create my own booklet.
I did however research different styles and ideas to see what else was out there. I went on the internet and looked up the different genres and selected 5 to come up with an idea for and toy around with a little bit. The five genres I selected were country, death metal, pop, rap and reggae. For each genre I came up with an artist or band name, an album title and a rough design for the cover. For the country genre my idea was to do a band called the Buckaroos with the album title being time. The rough design I came up with for that was an image of a big clock as the cover. For death metal my band name was death maggot with a not so thought out title of bring your own brick. The image I had in mind for this was a dead maggot in a pool of blood.
Since that idea was clearly, well crap I came up with one for Reggae. The artist I came up with for this was Jeff Turner and the album title being chill out. The idea for the cover was to have someone meditating as reggae has a smooth peaceful feel about it. For pop I choose a teeny-bopper name Randy-lee Murphy and a typical style pop title sweet kisses with the cover of course being a close up of Randy’s head. With Rap I came up with the name Lickwid for the artist and gets me some for the title as this was the sort of titles I came across in my research. The cover design for Rap was to have a Rapper in particular an African America Rapper standing up against a brick wall looking cool and indifferent.
Obviously none of those ideas had a lot of merit and I feel this is because I couldn’t get past in my mind, although I was trying to the idea of creating a cd booklet on my self. I often find that the case once I get an idea it’s hard to change my mind especially when it’s something I am so passionate about like music. Throughout my research I came across many interesting genres that I had never really heard of before which would have been interesting to do but I couldn’t seem to shake my initial idea. After doing this I came to the conclusion that I couldn’t go past my initial idea of doing my self. Since I had now chosen what my idea was I then sat down and sorted through my lyrics to pick which one’s I thought were the best. Once I had selected the 10 songs I wanted to include in my booklet I sat down and began designing.

No comments: